Friday, December 16, 2011

Concrete mushrooms

Looking back at what I have done I feel quite pleased and that am on some sort of track,  The little cubicle has windows and reminded me of the concrete mushrooms that I found when researching concrete, apparently there are 750,000 of them in Albania left over from the Hoxha regime and are being used now for all sorts of purposes.  Originally constructed to fend off the enemy they are all over the country on beaches, in woods, across the countryside.  The second image reminds me of the church on the top of Jebel Caterina on the Sinai peninsular, part of Israel then,  that was sadly locked in case any passerby at 8625 ft might enter and vandalise it!  It was a long climb but worth it to look out over the tops of mountains, a feeling that was repeated at the top of the World Trade Centre in New York looking out over the lower skyscrapers. The quietness and feeling of being on high, balancing.   Each of these links in my thoughts, these three different countries, concern 'the enemy' somehow, the vulnerability of countries.

inside an Albanian concrete mushroom


outside an Albanian concrete mushroom




the beginning of my little tabernacle










 

  








No comments:

Post a Comment