Thursday, December 15, 2011

Getting Plastered


Plaster is one of the hard materials that I am looking at.  Realised that I have not really made clear why.  Drapery in all its form to me is of great fascination.  It came to my attention in the Gothic days in both painting and sculpture, the fascination being that these are both 'hard' materials and yet the depiction of the soft, drapery cloth can be extraordinary and sensuous both concealing and revealing beneath its folds.  I have therefore decided to look into hard materials such as concrete, plaster and glass, maybe others will included.  I don't know where this will take me but I will most definitely learn along the way rejecting the materials later.

So this morning I am going to carry on with plastering and latexing.  Although latex becomes soft it still perhaps falls into my 'hard' category, also useful for mould making etc..  

Extremely successful morning working out some more methods for using plaster with fabric. 

little boat figures randomly placed on plaster glass mould - like the bas relief quality

latex 'river' taken from plaster mould for glass taken from drawing of made bone spine particularly like the edges where the latex has not run into grooves
plaster on fabric using latexed bone drawing as a mould - the result has an ossified texture

paint and stitch on wet plaster

plaster shaped using cling film to achieve a drape

plaster again shaped using clingfilm with a cruciform beneath    



latex mould after using with plaster

experiment with using positive and negative shapes cut from foam

No comments:

Post a Comment