Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Wrapping

I became enamoured with Christo and Jeanne-Claude a couple of years ago when I came across The Gates in Central Park. It is a gorgeous piece of work.  Yesterday in the LRC discovered a book about the Kansas City Walkway project.  In essence they covered the Loose Park's paths with a golden yellow fabric culminating in a beautiful result, like a golden river running through.  Wrapping is part of what I do so must look more closely at their works. How could I have forgotten?
http://christojeanneclaude.net/major_walkways.shtml



Christo and Jeanne-Claude
Wrapped Walk Ways, Jacob Loose Park, Kansas City, Missouri, 1977-78
Photo: Wolfgang Volz
© 1978 Christo

Reading the book last night and thinking about my work.  Golden - another word I like - had been lurking in my thoughts and I think this has given some encouragement to go ahead.  Perhaps gold could is the colour of hope.  The proleptic halo of Christ is usually golden.  Perhaps my river should be golden or have a golden thread running through it.

The wrapping as with the small scale wrapping of Alinah Azadeh, maybe today I will wrap the chewed bones of my chicken bone spine (courtesy of Tago) with white and gold.  Also the laid down fabric, Sue, a painter,  and I took photographs of a laid out paint cloth a few years ago - find them.  Also do more research into Jannis Kounellis - so exciting......



Don't forget the Judith Scott exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment