Saturday, January 7, 2012

Finally... and Jannis Kounellis

Finally off to the Gerhard Richter the day before it closes!  Looking forward to it.  Also think that this will be my final blog for the assignment but amazingly will probably continue to do it as well as my journal which is just as useful and has the wonderful quality of being tactile and has lovely pages to turn....

Richter- abstract painting - 1990
It was as interesting and multifaceted as I thought it was going to be.  I particularly liked the grey paintings and his blurry technique.  Did not like the flower paintings at all and felt they were out of sync with everything else or his landscapes.    I think the abstracts were too crowded together. Unfortunate because combined with the crowds visiting it was impossible to really look at them properly.  I think the series entitled Elbe was the most satisfying, didn't know them before so maybe it was the unexpected element. The colour chart things I don't appreciate at all.



 image


Looking up Jannis Kounellis on the internet found this image in an article from Frieze Magazine reviewing the artist's current exhibition at the Today Art Museum in Beijing. How I would love to make a piece of this magnitude. http://www.frieze.com/shows/review/jannis-kounellis/



Jannis Kounellis Untitled 1979
Add caption


Always like to visit this installation by Jannis Kounellis when in Tate Modern, it has an eery quality and I like the way the three different elements have been put together. Untitled 1979. Do some research on him - I'm interested  his association with Art Povera and similarities with Joseph Beuys.

No comments:

Post a Comment